Internet Services: Cable, ADSL, DSL in Lebanon?

About the use & development of Internet in Lebanon.

When do you think (unlimited) cable or DSL internet services will be available in Lebanon (for a decent price)?

No votes
No votes
24%
35%
18%
24%

Total votes: 17

Raficoo

LOL, dreaming....

Post by Raficoo »

I don't understand y u guys still writing about DSL when it's time to start thing about thing about starting in a mil years or if a miracle happened to say like they would FIX THE INTERNET COMPANY WHICH WAS BOMBED, so to know how much time it would really take, add the years that it takes to fix the company plus the time for politicaly problems that have to be fix so they start thinking about opening DSL, oh and more political problems that happen after the war ended. so that would be a + + + + === MIL YEARS. well good bye DSL,,, we thought u were near. GUESS we were WRONG...

Still wonder when they'll start school caz of the war :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beside where i'm living right now (not in Lebanon) got download speeds up to 4MB/S ...EACH SECOND :D
palpoule

Post by palpoule »

Jimmy wrote:no way, on [www.idm.net.lb] they don't say anything about bandwidth limitations
HAHA, did you even read ANY previous post about how lame IDM is?
IDM's customer's service sucks, the news and information they give are outdated, and they have even once SPAMED their customers. (Even Terranet sent their customers false ad-ware and spyware alerts to their PCs in order to make them buy some anti-spyware software.) So lowww... Check out http://www.the-lebanon.com/directory/Co ... ers__ISP_/

The only ISP one should consider joining is VISP. Purely 24/7 customer support, they offer FREE dial-up! FREE online gaming (Counter-Strike, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Warcraft3, C&C Generals, Diablo, Starcraft, etc...) with full forum support. Though they offer DSL, I don't know anyone who has taken this service, yet.
murex

Lebanon ISP's

Post by murex »

As our wise friend "Trash" says in this forum: "All Lebanese ISP are trash..." That's the first thing to learn and remember when you live in Lebanon...

IDM (1/20)
A 3rd World old fashioned machine that is not afraid to spam its clients. They spend too much money regularly on advertising to enhance their image, instead of improving their services... And they don't treat their employees & clients well enough.

TERRANET (3/20)
Big, professional and cold blooded third world machine... They were doing OK, and their tech people were answering professionally, until recently when their stupid marketing staff decided to send SPAM to advertise their bad anti-spam product! And they did not apologize: they confirmed it was not a mistake but a "strategic" choice from the company! Stay away from them: the future of Terranet is dark.

CYBERIA (6/20)
Not as "pro" and "competitive" as Terranet, but much more clear & HONEST. Cyberia seems to be managed by good people with a minimum of international Web Ethics.

VISP (4/20)
Promising & progressive. These people are ready to dig for alternative solutions. They are very secretive, about their set up... I think they get connections from CYPRUS... (Maybe they use these 200km antennas to grab cheap DSL from our neighbors?) They are not very interested in individuals: their sales policy is oriented towards resellers and big buisness clients. They do not cover all areas of Beirut.

Companies such as IDM and Terranet are here to prove us that too many Lebanese people suck... and that we probably deserve nothing but bombs and chaos in our face, so that we can go back deeper in the 3rd world where we belong.

TO COMPARE & DISCUSS your experiences with ISP's, please post your messages in the right forum thread, and for politics please use the "Lebanon politics" forum...
Last edited by murex on Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trash

Post by trash »

hj88 wrote:I am really considering buying a wireless point to point system i found on the internet that cost 5000 dollars and can provide a link of up to 200 km
Is it legall in lebanon??
because if it is, i may be considering getting one... & maybe i'll share it with my neighnour also
I hate all Lebanese ISPs.... They are trash
murex

legal :-)

Post by murex »

That's funny... Why do yo u need it to be legal?... Do you recognize & respect the State of Lebanon? (Don't say yes, it would be ridiculous.) If it's not legal, I guess you just have to be a little discrete... Plus: many lebanese are doing it already... VISP does it as an official ISP & sells it... And I am sure some local "cable guys" have been doing it very well for a few years now... I would not bother about the legality, but about how easy that is to set up & all...
hj88

dsl price in cyprus is really low!!

Post by hj88 »

this is from an isp called netway in cyprus

1 mbps : 30$ per month and you get a static ip if you register for 6 month or more !
palpoule

Post by palpoule »

NIYELON :cry:

Ne7na in 10 years we might become like them, but they would have all gone to the moon, and we would still be at war.
trash

Post by trash »

i'm still living in a schock, DSL will finaly arrive to lebanon (hopefully), and i still can't beleive that its going to be 5 GB traffic limited

i took a picture from my GDS login page and this is how the case is everyday with me, an average user :)

with 512Kb/s i will probably end my 5 GB in less than a day :(
I hate all Lebanese ISPs.... They are trash
murex

We are in Hell

Post by murex »

Even Syria has great DSL now. Maybe we are all in Hell but we don't realise it. I think we are the last now... We are the worst Internet country in the WORLD. We should get a price for that! But maybe Irak will win...

Maybe the God of History wants us to be like a sort of Zoo, so that people of the World can come and see how it was "before". Maybe the Hezbollah has a good plan for DSL? Or maybe we need more bombs? Or maybe there's a big plot on Lebanon?

I think the best way to go is to team up & get some big fat satellite connexion, or to move to Cyprus... or to Syria... or to Israel... or to anywhere else...
Raficoo

Hey, we R.

Post by Raficoo »

i just got back from another country and MISSED :lol: the T1 connection i got there :( . man it was fast. It'z true we r the worst internet country in the WORLD(NO DOUT), even irak and isreal and syria got WAYYYYY.. better internet, where i was be4, u could get a 2.2mb\s DSl 4 $60\month and people in Lebanon r paying like $40-$$$$$600/ monthly 4 the Othere life internet, a 33.6 modem, even they call it that, it still slower :o , the only thing possible is sattilite, the prob is really slow upload speed(they think that syrians r spying), but good download speed, and there a difference with 4mb/s and 0.00356mb/s on download..right :lol: ? oo a guess in a 1000 years, somthin atleast a TRUE 56 modem would come(little less DSL) :arrow: :arrow: , or if anothere war would happen, just X Dayz of war with 1000 and u'll get the years.

STIll, WEBSITES of idm, terranet, cyberia, and the other DIDN"T CHANGE SHIT ON their WEBSITES ABOUT DSL, STILL THE SAME like 5 months ago)...

LOOOOL, 1 manager of AGERO lives in the same building i live and he's allowed 2 get Free fastest Broadband(4 non- commercial i mean), can't even get a line, even if i livin soooooooo close)

i hate Lebanese isp's and telecom 4 it, they suck)
gabi1976

Lebanon will never have a descent internet connection

Post by gabi1976 »

Lebanon is unique in a way that in every other country the internet companies improve their service with time but in lebanon they make it worth. before, there was no consumption limit now there is 5GB on the 128K broadband. I found a satellite internet company in greece that offer a package with Download speed: 1024 Kb and Upload speed: 512 Kb for 4500€ a year so it's around 50$ a person if split among 8 persons but no limtations(sessions or 5 GB download).I think it is the best price i ve seen if split between 8 people. Legal or not this not an issue. you can bring rockets into this country so i don't see why cant we get a damn 2 way internet connection.Let me know guys if anybody know of a better price on 2 way satellite internet servicing lebanon.
Well another way is to move out of this dump and go to europe where you can get an 8 Mb connection for €18.8 Mb if available in lebanon would cost you 3000$.I can go rent a house there, study for my PHD, have nice life and still spend less the what i spend here on internet.
way to go lebanon,a week ago we didn't have electricty for more than 5 hours a day so for those of you still dreaming of having what they call DSL, keep on dreaming,maybe in 20 years,we'll or you'll have a DSL connection but by that time the internet will be free in europe :( :D :D :D
palpoule

Post by palpoule »

In 20 years, all the countries will be on Mars, except Lebanon who would still be at civil war.
Tom

Why not via satellite ???

Post by Tom »

why you don't use satellite connections ?
there are some 2-way systems on the market which are very reliably,
and many speeds are possible,
or even one way systems are not bad too.

--> for gabi1976 if you need a good 2-way just contact me. (much better then the grece-one)
Raficoo

need som info!?!

Post by Raficoo »

hey, i need som info about how much cable would cost in saida(illegal offcourse),and how fast it is(atleast faster than my DIAL-UP),plz tell me
((((my phone bills came up to $300 once, cause my freakin Dial-up costs L.L3,000 each hour(know it sucks),so i need cable 4 a fixed price each month, plz inform me,,

PEACE

THANK u,
Raficoo
murex

DSL

Post by murex »

Tom, if you have recommandations about Satellite service and you think you can make them public, please do not hesitate to post more details in the forum. (There is another thread to compare ISP's.)

If someone can help Raficoo about "illegal" cable in Saida, please contact Raficoo privately my email or PM. The "illegal" cable guys are a bit discret and you must not reveal their exact location... Each of them usually services a small neighborhood.